MAFP Celebrating Platinum Anniversary
70 Never Looked So Good
Chartered in 1948 as the 19th constituent chapter of American Academy of Family Physicians, Michigan Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP)—originally named Michigan Academy of General Practice (MAGP)—is proud and excited to launch its year-long 70th anniversary celebration.
Since MAFP’s founding, the U.S. healthcare system has undergone tremendous change, as has the practice of Family Medicine. One thing has remained the same, however; MAFP’s steadfast dedication to its mission of supporting Family Physicians and their practices as they work to ensure high-quality, cost-effective healthcare for patients of all ages. Today, MAFP represents more than 4,200 Family Physicians, Family Medicine Residents, and Medical Students in Michigan, making it the state’s largest specialty physician association and an extra-large chapter of AAFP.
Our year-long celebration began with an open house on January 24, 4:30 – 7 p.m. to showcase the newly renovated offices of MAFP and our philanthropic arm, Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan. The celebration continued at the Michigan Family Medicine 70th Anniversary Celebration Dinner on Saturday, July 14, 6-8 p.m., during the 2018 Michigan Family Medicine Conference & Expo, in Kalamazoo.
Our Beginnings | 1948
To kick-off our commemoration of the milestones of MAFP’s distinguished 70-year history, at the right is a photo of the first American Academy of General Practice Board of Directors (1947-1949). Serving on that first Board were two Michigan Family Physicians—Elmer "Tex" Texter, MD (Detroit), Vice President (first row, second from the right) and Arch Walls, MD (Detroit), Director (third row, second from left).
Dr. Texter went on to serve as 1948-1949 AAFP President-elect, follwed by the Academy’s second President in 1949-1950. Dr. Walls served as MAGP’s first President in 1948.
Both Dr. Texter and Dr. Walls—along with E. Clarkson Long, MD; JS De Tar, MD; AC Stander, MD; Luther Day, MD; and WB Harm, MD—were instrumental in AAGP’s chartering of Michigan Academy of General Practice on June 25, 1948 (click photo on bottom right).
Within its first year, the Michigan Chapter had 513 members. By 1950, membership had grown to over 3,000 members.