About MAFP Continuing Medical Education
Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan was started in 1981, and since that time its mission has been to promote continuing, comprehensive and cost-effective care to the citizens of Michigan by:
- Supporting the programs and activities of the MAFP as its philanthropic arm
- Assisting in the development of programs which serve to promote Family Medicine in Michigan
- Assisting in the education and training of Family Physicians, Family Medicine residents and medical students
A key to the Foundation's mission is to seek and encourage philanthropy by Family Physicians, corporate entities and the general public. Successful conduct of such philanthropic activities helps to ensure optimal healthcare for Michiganders.
As a charitable public foundation recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan is able to accept grants, deductible gifts, and contributions.
Future of Family Medicine
In looking at the future of Family Medicine in Michigan, Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan’s Board of Trustees has deliberated on how best to fulfill its mission and vision. The Foundation has identified the following programs to support, as funds allow:
- Development of continuing medical education (CME) that improves the knowledge, competence and performance of practicing physicians
- Annual sponsorships to support two residents and two students to attend the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students
- Development of a statewide mentorship program, including physicians in rural and urban areas
MAFP-accredited CME is intended to improve the knowledge, competence and performance of primary care physicians, specifically Family Physicians.
The content of each MAFP activity is derived from the educational needs that underlie professional practice gaps. The planning committee of each event identifies the specific objectives so topics can be developed that best fit the program and the needs of the audience. The Professional Development Committee oversees all CME events offered through the MAFP and Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan. It also plans the education components of the annual Michigan Family Medicine Conference & Expo.
MAFP continuing education events provide Family Medicine professionals with an opportunity to improve and enrich their knowledge in order to provide the most comprehensive care for their patients. Through in-depth presentations, case studies, hands-on workshops, panel discussions, and question-and-answer sessions, Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan thrives on being able to achieve results that enhance each participant’s approach to patient care. To improve the quality and understanding gained from each activity, MAFP asks participants to measure the knowledge, competence, and performance skills gained from each presentation. At the conclusion of the activity, this will demonstrate whether the needs and gaps were presented in a way that the learners were able to understand and then implement the new, or refreshed, skills upon their return to practice.
AAFP Prescribed credit is accepted by the:
- American Medical Association as equivalent to AMA PRA Category 1 Credit toward the AMA
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA) members who attend CME activities that have been accredited for AAFP CME credit may report this credit to AOA and receive Category 2-A Credit
- American Academy of Physician Assistants accepts Prescribed credit from the AAFP
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners recognizes activities approved for AAFP credit as acceptable toward CE requirements for nurse practitioners
- Michigan State Board of Nursing views activities sponsored by National nursing, medical, osteopathic and other healthcare professional organizations and their state and regional affiliates as acceptable sources of CE
- American Association of Medical Assistants recognizes activities approved for AAFP credit as acceptable toward CE requirements for medical assistants
Support Future Programs
The MAFP and its Foundation provide a wide range of opportunities for organizations to support Family Medicine, whether it be by providing information or practice assistance, introduction to new products and procedures, or any other benefit to our members and participants of events. Please note, we act in accordance with Accreditation Council of Continuing Medical Education guidelines regarding commercial support. To find the best fit for your company, click here for exhibitor and sponsorship opportunities at upcoming events.
Become a Speaker
MAFP and Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan are always seeking dynamic, compelling, and knowledgeable speakers to provide valuable content to the attendees of the Michigan Family Medicine Conference & Expo and other Foundation-hosted events. If you would like to submit a proposal, please contact MAFP Headquarters via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any further questions regarding MAFP's educational opportunities, please contact MAFP Headquarters at 517.347.0098.