Missed Our Live DOT Training? We Can Still Help!
MAFP offered several face-to-face opportunities for health care professionals to obtain the necessary training and certificate to take the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's (FMCSA) National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners certification examination.
If you missed these live trainings, you're in luck! MAFP has secured a special discount for online training. Once you have gone to link provided:
- Select "Add to Cart" under the NRCME Program for MD/DO Providers
- Enter the Promo Code: mafp225
- Select "Update Cart"
- Cart should update to $225 instead of $349 for the course
- Enter your payment details
Who Needs the DOT Training?
All health care professionals whose scope of practice authorizes them to perform physical examinations, as defined by the state in which they practice, and who intend to perform physical examinations and issue medical certificates for certified motor vehicle (CMV) drivers must meet the requirements of Section 391.41 of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations for certification and be listed on FMCSA National Registry.
This training is of interest to family physicians and other primary care physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and other health care professionals who perform DOT physicals.
Next Steps After Passing the Exam
Now that you’ve successfully passed the certification examination and are listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry), what’s next?
To maintain your certification, you must successfully complete and abide by the requirements for medical examiner certification and recertification, including:
- Report to FMCSA any changes in application information submitted within 30 days of the change.
- Continue to be licensed, certified, or registered—in accordance with applicable State laws and regulations—to perform physical examinations in each state in which you perform DOT physical exams.
- Maintain documentation of licensure, certification, or registration to perform DOT physical exams as well as documentation of completion of all required training.
- Submit to periodic monitoring and audits by the FMCSA, making available copies of the Medical Examination Reports and medical examiner’s certificates upon request.
- Maintain the original completed Medical Examination Reports for all drivers examined and a copy or electronic version of the driver’s medical examiner’s certificate for at least three years from the date of the examination.
- Once every calendar month, electronically transmit a completed Form MCSA-5850 Medical Examiner Submission of Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Driver Medical Examination Results for each driver examined. To do this, login to your National Registry account on the National Registry website, and select “CMV Driver Exams” from the blue bar at the top of the screen. Select “Submit CMV Driver Exam Results,” input driver information and exam data, and click “Submit.” Even if no exams were performed during the month, you must report!
- Maintain certification by completing periodic training every 5 years, and recertify by passing the FMCSA Medical Examiner certification test every 10 years.
These requirements are described in more detail in the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners Complete Guide to Medical Examiner Certification.
Please contact MAFP Headquarters at 517.347.0098 or firstname.lastname@example.org.