MI Future of Family Medicine Conference
October 15, 2016
Wayne State University School of Medicine | Scott Hall, 540 E. Canfield, Detroit , MI
The MAFP Foundation's Student & Resident Education Committee is excited to invite students, residents, residency programs, and non-profit and technical/for-profit exhibitors to the back-by-popular-demand Michigan Future of Family Medicine Conference on October 15, 2016, at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit. This year marks the beginning of:
- A new tradition of hosting the conference at a different medical school in Michigan each year. Your medical school could be next!
- A new focus of educational sessions designed to provide medical students with opportunities to explore the breadth and depth of Family Medicine.
- A new opportunity for residency programs to network with medical students during more dedicated exhibit time than before, and for residents to serve as mentors during outpatient clinical procedures workshops.
The conference provides a tremendous opportunity for making connections, increasing awareness of the breadth and depth of Family Medicine, and inspiring the Family Physicians of tomorrow.
REGISTER TODAY to attend, sponsor, exhibit, advertise, or lead a hands-on outpatient clinical procedures workshop.
|Attendee Registration »||Exhibitor, Sponsorship, Advertising Registration »|
Registration & Continental Breakfast with Exhibitors
Opening Keynote: The Future of Family Medicine—The Future is US
Family Medicine integrates a broad-spectrum approach to primary care with a focus on the whole person. During this opening keynote session, hear why so many physicians are choosing the Family Medicine specialty and why Family Physicians, who are needed everywhere, are in high demand. According to Merritt, Hawkins & Associates, Family Physicians have been the most recruited physicians for hospitals, medical groups and healthcare organizations for eight years in a row. The future is us!
- Edward Jackson, MD, FAAFP, MAFP Foundation President; Urgent Care Physician, Covenant Health Care
- Kim Yu, MD, FAAFP, MAFP Board Chair; Family Physician
It's Your Life, It's Your Choice
Family Medicine offers a multitude of options for where and how Family Physicians can practice medicine. These varied options provide choices when it comes to lifestyle, geography, income and career goals. During this panel discussion, a diverse group of Family Physicians will share their experiences that span the full spectrum of Family Medicine. Discover your career options to fit your goals, and get your questions answered.
- Margit Chadwell, MD, FAAFP, Assistant Professor, Clerkship Director for Family Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Christina Kimbrough, MD
- Sheala Jafry, MD, MS, FAAFP, Assistant Director, Ambulatory Education & Faculty Development; Assistant Clinical Professor, William Beaumont Hospital
- Kim Yu, MD, FAAFP, Family Physician
Refreshment Break with Exhibitors
Enhance Your Training: Fellowship Opportunities within Family Medicine
All Family Physicians are trained in labor and delivery; emergency medicine; surgery and procedures; pediatrics; hospital medicine; and geriatrics. Perhaps, however, you would like to broaden your skills in a specific field. Discover how you can further your training in geriatrics, palliative care, obstetrics/gynecology, or sports medicine, as we talk with experts in each of these fields. Learn what credentials are required, how to apply, and the doors that are opened for fellowship-trained Family Physicians.
- Vanessa K. Boyce, MD, Director of Palliative Care, Ascension St. John
- Huma Khan, MD, Assistant Medical Director, Maternal Newborn Health Fellowship Co-director, Oakwood Family Medicine Residency-Annapolis, Beaumont Wayne
- Veena Panthangi, MD, St. John Providence Medical Center
- Daniel Seidman, DO, Fellow, Primary Care Sports Medicine, Henry Ford Hospital
11:55 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch Discussion: The Value of Getting Involved in Your Academy
Your Academy is your partner in the profession! As you enjoy lunch, learn about the valuable opportunities that your Academy offers, such as leadership positions, scholarships, externships and Family Medicine Interest Group support.
- Blake Arthurs, BS, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Olivia Bolen, BS, Central Michigan University College of Medicine; Student Chair, MAFP Board of Directors; Family Medicine Interest Group Region 4 Coordinator
- Jeanne Wigant, BS, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine; Family Medicine Leads Emerging Leaders Scholar
- Sway Wu, Wayne State University School of Medicine
Expo Hall Scavenger Hunt
Get to know the residency programs and other exhibitors by learning fun facts about them in the interactive Expo Hall, and have the opportunity to win a prize.
A Look into the Future: The Impact of Alternative Payment and Delivery Models on the Future of Family Medicine
As the U.S. healthcare system transitions to value-based care, new reimbursement and delivery frameworks continue to emerge. This means options are expanding for Family Physicians when it comes to choosing the model(s) that best supports their business of medicine. Hear from a panel of Family Physicians about Direct Primary Care and CMS’ Quality Payment Program, as well as several innovative delivery models for improving patient outcomes.
- Robert Jackson, MD, MMM, MAFP Board President; Family Physician, Western Wayne Physicians
- David Schindler, MD, Family Physician, Personal Care Physician, PLLC
- Naomi Pearsall-Cook, MD, Owner/Physician, Your Choice Direct Care
Outpatient Clinical Procedures Workshops
Get hands-on experience as you discover the outpatient procedures you can perform within your own practice.
- Botulinum Toxin Injection Techniques: Selena Dodman, RN, BSN, Medical Procedure Center
- Casting: Ron Hunt, MD, Family Medicine Faculty Physician; Trevor Ripley, MD, Family Medicine Faculty Physician; Sara Wilson, MD, Family Medicine Faculty Physician, Beaumont Family Medicine Residency
- Radiofrequency/Electrosurgery: John "Jack" Pfenninger, MD, FAAFP, Medical Procedure Center; author of Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care—THE comprehensive "how to" resource offering step-by-step strategies of nearly every medical procedure that can be performed by a primary care physician in an office, hospital, or emergency care facility.
- Punch & Shave Biopsies: Nikolaus Fulbright, MD, Faculty, Providence Family Medicine Residency; Cheryl Smith, MD, Faculty, Providence Family Medicine Residency
- Suturing Techniques: Rachel O'Byrne, MD, Chief, Family Medicine Department; Ashley Slater, MD, Chief Resident; Robert Haas, MD, Chief Resident; and Jeanette Wilson, MD, St. John Family Medicine Residency
- Ultrasound Guided Knee Injections: Ethan Morrical, MD, PGY3 Family Medicine Resident; AJ Pinney, DO, PGY1 Family Medicine Resident, Munson Family Practice Residency Program
Drawing for a Signed Copy of "Pfenninger & Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care"
This comprehensive 1733-page book valued at $142 on Amazon provides step-by-step guidance for nearly every procedure you are likely to perform in an office, hospital or emergency care facility. It is co-authored by Dr. John "Jack" Pfenninger, who will be leading an outpatient clinical procedures workshop (see above). Must be present to win.
*Agenda subject to change.
Cancelation Policy: All cancelations and refund requests must be submitted in writing to MAFP. An administrative fee will be deducted from any and all cancelations or refund requests. The final date for refunds will be September 30; no refunds will be granted after this date. Substitutions are accepted in lieu of cancelations and will be charged the appropriate registration fee if different from the original registration.
Attendee Registration Rates
MAFP/AAFP Student Member:
- Regular rate: $60
MAFP/AAFP Resident Member:
- Regular rate: $105
- Regular rate: $80
- Regular rate: $155
Allied Health Professional:
- Regular rate: $155
Early-bird pricing ends 09/19/2016
Online registration ends 10/21/2016
The deadline to secure exhibitor, sponsorship and advertising space is September 30.
Exhibitor, Sponsorship & Advertising Opportunities
The Michigan Future of Family Conference provides a valuable opportunity for residency programs, non-profit organizations, and technical/for-profit organizations to engage with medical students, and for students to connect with representatives from organizations specific to their interests.
The Outpatient Clinical Procedures Workshops are ideal opportunities for Family Medicine residents to donate their time to serve as mentors to students, and for residency programs to support the conference by donating supplies.