Chief Executive Officer
MAFP is seeking a forward-thinking Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with a strategic management style and a history of successfully growing departments/organizations to meet their full potential. The Michigan Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP) is the state’s largest specialty physician association with more than 4,200 members. MAFP’s CEO will be instrumental in continuing efforts to support these professionals and their vital contributions to healthcare in our state.
A successful candidate will be a natural relationship builder; ideally someone who is already connected to the healthcare industry. As the public face of the Michigan Academy of Family Physicians, the CEO must have an engaging, yet diplomatic approach and be passionate about assisting Family Physicians and their practices as they work to ensure high-quality, cost-effective healthcare for patients of all ages. The position requires a transparent, collaborative leader with a proven track record of building member engagement, cultivating shared goals, and positioning an organization for relevance and sustainability in the years to come.
Guided by the Board of Directors, the CEO's primary focus will be to ensure that the daily activities of the Academy are in compliance with and in support of program and membership goals, strategic objectives, and legislative priorities. Areas of responsibility include planning and execution, advocacy and communications, program implementation and administration, personnel and fiscal management, member development and retention.
Specific job duties include:
- Assist the Board in setting short-term and long-term goals based on the strategic plan
- Develop and implement work plans to meet strategic objectives
- Develop and administer operational policies
- Oversee member recruitment and retention activities
- Coordinate membership meetings and conferences
- Foster and maintain ongoing and open communication with the Board
- Facilitate orientation of new Board members and committee chairs
- Oversee current staff (5 employees) and ensure adequate staffing levels to meet MAFP’s strategic plan objectives and growth goals
- Assure proper compliance with employment law as it relates to personnel matters
- Provide adequate training, supervision and evaluation of staff in a fair and equitable manner
- Develop expertise in staff by encouraging further education and training; providing learning and leadership opportunities for growth
- Oversee all disciplinary actions including terminations
- Follow established policies, procedures and internal controls for prudent financial management
- Budget preparation (~$800K annually) and monitoring for both the Academy and MAFP’s Family Medicine Foundation of Michigan
- Serve as the Executive Director and Treasurer of the Family Medicine PAC
- Manage MAFP’s assets, liabilities, revenues and expenses
- Seek new/additional revenue sources
- Assure proper fiscal record keeping and reporting
- Assist with tax preparation and submission of all required state and federal documents under the direction and guidance of accounting firm and Board Treasurer
Public Relations and Communications
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for MAFP, promoting the Academy and its initiatives to members, media, governmental agencies, community and related organizations and the public at events, local meetings and at other venues as appropriate
- Oversee the development and dissemination of MAFP publications (electronic and printed)
- Manage MAFP communication strategies, including website, newsletters/print, personal appearances and social media presence
Advocacy and Government Relations
- Serve as the primary liaison and spokesperson between the Board, policy makers at both the state and federal levels, and the press
- Monitor and report all legislative, political, and administration activities and issues which may impact the interests of the Academy and its members
- Attend and participate in legislative and regulatory meetings and hearings bearing potential impact on the Academy and its members
- Manage advocacy initiatives to assure effectiveness and results, utilizing outside lobbying assistance as needed
- Maintain relationships with governmental agencies, elected officials, key stakeholders, and organizations with complementary and/or like missions and policy objectives
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of senior level management experience, preferably in a non-profit setting. Certified Association Executive (CAE) and a working knowledge of the healthcare industry is a plus! This is a high-level position requiring strong leadership, communication and interpersonal skills. A successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to grow membership and implement innovative programs and services in collaboration with the MAFP Board, the American Academy of Family Physicians, governmental agencies, and related professional associations.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
MAFP offers a dynamic, challenging work environment with ample opportunity for professional fulfillment, competitive compensation and a full benefit package. To express your interest in this position, please submit your resume, salary requirements and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications relate to this position. Materials can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply is January 18.