Physician Payments Sunshine Act
On February 1, 2013, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released the final regulation on the commonly referred “Sunshine Act,” now rebranded as the “National Physician Payment Transparency Program: Open Payments.” This final regulation implements Section 6002 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA), which is designed to make information publicly available about payments or other transfers of value from certain manufacturers of drugs, devices, biologicals and medical supplies covered by Medicare, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), defined as applicable manufacturers, to physicians and teaching hospitals, which are considered covered recipients.
- AAFP Summary of the Final Ruling
- AAFP News Now "Final Rule on Physician Sunshine Act Released"
- American Medical Association's Tool Kit for Physician Financial Transparency Reports (Sunshine Act)
- CMS Open Payment Templates
- CMS Fact Sheet
- Physician Payment Sunshine Act Final Rule: Quick Reference Guide